Thomas’ Kid-Friendly Sushi in a Jar
Recipe by: Thomas
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) maple syrup
- 1/2 a 3.5 oz/99 g can solid light tuna, drained
- or 3 oz/80 g cooked chicken, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Japanese sesame dressing
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) black sesame seeds
- 1 small nori sheet, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sushi rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup (70 mL) cucumber, cut into matchsticks and divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) carrot, grated
- Pickled ginger, salmon roe and wasabi paste (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, soy sauce and maple syrup; set aside.
- In another small bowl, stir together fish or chicken, sesame dressing and sesame seeds; set aside.
- Place a few nori strips on the bottom of a 1/2 cup (125 mL) Mason jar. Layer with rice, half of the cucumber and all the carrots. Drizzle with vinegar mixture.
- Top with remaining nori, tuna mixture and remaining cucumber. Top with pickled ginger, or wasabi if desired. Seal jar and refrigerate until ready to serve.