Recipe by: Violet
My favourite parts of some of my favourite foods: seasoned rare beef and taco toppings all wrapped up in a sushi roll.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sticky rice
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) water
- 2 sheets toasted nori
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each garlic and onion powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) thinly sliced top sirloin or striploin steak
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- In a saucepan, combine rice, water and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, stir and cover for 10 to 15 minutes or until rice is tender (add more water if it rice is looking a bit dry).
- In a small bowl, stir together chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powder, crushed red pepper and oregano. Toss the sliced beef with the taco seasoning.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry beef for 3 minutes or until medium-rare. Set aside.
- Place 1 sheet of nori on bamboo sushi mat. Get a bowl of warm water to wet fingers and help spread rice evenly. Dip fingers in water and take about half of the sticky rice and start to spread it on the nori, leaving 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) along the edge furthest from you. Place half of each of the beef, green onions, tomatoes and cheese along rice edge that is closest to you. Wet the edge of the nori with fingers and roll the sushi up tightly and evenly, using the bamboo mat to help. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Using a very sharp knife, place sushi rolls onto a cutting and slice.