Super Strength Tabbouleh
Recipe by: Dietitians of Canada
Tabbouleh is one of the most popular (and ancient) Middle Eastern dishes. It is a delicious mix of vegetables, herbs, bulgur (cracked whole grain wheat), and olive oil and it goes well with meat, chicken, fish, chickpeas or by itself as a side dish.
- 1 cup bulgur
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cucumber, peeled and chopped
- Medium saucepan
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Fine mesh sieve
- Large bowl
- Ask an adult to bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the bulgur. Reduce heat to medium-low and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until it is tender (about 15 minutes). Ask an adult to drain the bulgur and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the bulgur to a large bowl. Add the oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and stir well. Add the tomato, parsley and cucumber and toss again.