Spirit’s Citrus Summer Salad
Recipe by: Spirit
A refreshing crisp salad that combines sweet and citrus flavours with a crunchy finish.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 a head of iceberg lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) baby spinach
- 1/2 a pomelo or 1 ruby red grapefruit, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 8 pitted dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped walnuts
- 4 tsp (20 mL) dried unsweetened cranberries
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced crosswise in circles
- 4 tsp (20 mL) liquid or creamed honey
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) poppy seeds
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- Pinch pepper
- Honey Poppyseed Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together honey, lemon juice, oil, poppy seeds, salt and pepper.
- Arrange lettuce onto 4 plates. Divide spinach among each plate. Sprinkle each with pomelo, dates, walnuts and cranberries. Top each with orange slices.
- Spoon dressing over top of each salad to serve.
- Tip: If using creamed honey in the dressing, melt it in the microwave for about 10 seconds before using.