Spinach and Strawberry Salad
Recipe by: Dietitians of Canada
This simple salad is bursting with fresh lavor, and the spiced seeds add a delicious and unexpected crunch.
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch cinnamon and cumin
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup goat cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Small saucepan
- Small bowl
- Salad plates
- Place pumpkin seeds, sugar, cinnamon and cumin in a small saucepan set on medium heat. Stir until sugar liquefies. Coat seeds and let cook until well-toasted, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Crumble and set aside.
- Divide spinach among salad plates and top with strawberries and pumpkin seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar with the Dijon, oil and salt.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over each salad plate and garnish with goat cheese, if using.