Smoked Meat Bannock Pizza
Recipe by: Drew
Prep time: 25 min
Bake time: 20 min
Serves: 6 to 8
- 3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) water
- ½ cup (125 mL) butter, melted
- 1 can (5 ½ oz/156 mL) tomato paste
- 1 pkg (8 oz/250 g) sliced Montreal smoked meat
- 3 cups (750 mL) bite-sized broccoli pieces
- 1 pkg (300 g) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) chopped fresh basil, divided
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded old cheddar cheese
- Half a red bell pepper, diced
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in water and butter, mixing until ragged dough forms. Knead dough to form a smooth ball.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough a little larger than a large baking sheet. Fit the dough into the pan and fold the excess dough to form a thicker crust around the edge.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF (225ºC). Roll each slice of Montreal smoked meat into logs and cut into 3 equal pieces; set aside.
- Spread dough evenly with tomato paste. Sprinkle with broccoli, spinach, 1 cup (250 mL) of the basil, cheese, and red pepper. Sprinkle with Montreal smoked meat. Bake in centre of oven for about 15 minutes or until crust is golden and cooked through. Sprinkle remaining basil over pizza top and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Tip: If using a convection oven, reduce temperature to 425ºF (220ºC).