Recipe by: Dietitians of Canada
This egg dish has long been popular in North Africa and the Middle East and just one taste will explain why! There are a lot of different versions but they all have poached eggs, tomatoes and spices. Try this recipe and then start adding things to make it your very own specialty of the house!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small cooking onion, peeled and diced
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 cups crushed or diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whole-wheat toast or pita bread, for serving (optional)
- Large pan
- Small bowl
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- In a large pan, add the olive oil and turn on to medium heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until the onion is softened and see-through.
- Add the tomatoes, chili powder and cinnamon and stir frequently as it cooks, about 5 minutes.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and then drop them into the sauce, one by one, each in its own section of the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes or until the eggs are set and the tomato sauce has reduced by half.
- Serve with whole grain toast or pita bread.