Recipe by: Dietitians of Canada
Quick meals start with pasta, which takes about 10-15 minutes to make. And you won’t believe how easy it is to make your own tomato sauce from scratch. It’s so delicious!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil and oregano
- 1 carrot, peeled, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 375 g box whole wheat spaghetti or linguine
- 3 tablespoon Chopped fresh basil
- or Italian parsley
- 3 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Large pots
- Wooden spoon
- Large serving bowl
- Put a large pot of water on high heat.
- Set a second pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil and garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, herbs, carrots, zucchini, salt and pepper. Stir occasionally, as it simmers for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the pasta into the boiling water, stir, and cook for 10 minutes or until pasta is al-dente or just tender to the bite. Drain the pasta into a big colander and place in a large serving bowl.
- Pour the hot sauce on top of the pasta and stir to thoroughly coat the pasta.
- Sprinkle with basil or parsley and parmesan cheese and serve.