Oh Canada Oatmeal
Recipe by: Dietitians of Canada
Hungry in the morning? Long day at school ahead? When prepared with milk, oatmeal is a perfect breakfast choice because it contains protein (milk) and fibre (oats), which keep you fuller longer!
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup milk (or soy milk)
- ½ apple, cored and grated (skin on)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Maple syrup or honey to taste
- Optional toppings: Raisins, dried cranberries, blueberries, walnuts, or any fresh fruit
- Small saucepan
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- In a small saucepan, combine the oats, milk apple and cinnamon.
- Turn the heat under the pot to medium high.
- Cook the oatmeal, stirring, for about 4 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir and transfer to a bowl. Add toppings (optional) and enjoy.