Lentil Dal with Basmati Rice
Recipe by: Dietitians of Canada
This delicious meal has it all, and it’s quick enough to prepare for a weeknight meal. If you like it spicy, add some hot red pepper flakes or cayenne powder.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Medium pot
- Large saucepan
- Cook rice in medium pot according to package directions. Set aside
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, ginger, cumin, turmeric and garlic. Sauté 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and tomatoes; sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in water and lentils; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in lime juice, cilantro, and salt.
- Serve lentils over basmati rice.
Adapted from: www.food.com/recipe/lentil-dal-456#activity-feed