Greek Zucchini Fritters
Recipe by: Louisa
I first had these at my Yiayia’s house (that’s Greek for grandmother). She made them with pumpkin. I loved them so much that I decided to make them at home but using zucchini instead.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: about 16 fritters
- 2 zucchini, trimmed and grated
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin seeds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) panko breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking powder
- Sour cream or tzatziki dip
- Place zucchini in a strainer and sprinkle with salt; let stand for 10 minutes. Squeeze out water from zucchini and place squeezed zucchini in a large bowl.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium heat. Cook onion, cumin seeds, cumin powder and pepper for about 5 minutes or until softened. Let cool slightly.
- Scrape into bowl with zucchini and add breadcrumbs. Stir in eggs, flour and baking powder until well combined.
- Wipe out skillet and return to medium high heat and add 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the oil. Scoop about 2 tbsp (30 mL) of zucchini batter into a mound into pan and flatten slightly. Add a few more to pan, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Cook, turning once for about 6 minutes or until golden brown on both sides. (Be sure to press down slightly while cooking for extra crispy fritters). Remove to paper towel lined plate and repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil if necessary.
- Serve fritters with sour cream or tzatziki dip.