Double Potato Pie
Recipe by: Brooke
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 15 min
Chill time: 5 hrs 30 min
Bake time: 30 min
Stand time: 30 min
Serves: 10 to 12
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 1 lb/454 g), peeled and chopped
- ¾ cup (175 mL) milk or non-dairy beverage
- ¼ cup (60 mL) maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) oat flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground allspice or pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- Whipped cream or ice cream (optional)
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ½ cup (125 mL) butter, cubed and cold
- ½ cup (125 mL) cold leftover mashed potatoes
- ¼ cup (60 mL) ice water (approximately)
- Bring a pot of water to boil and carefully add sweet potatoes. Cook for about 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain well and place into a food processor; puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Pastry: In a bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender or fingers, cut butter into flour until flour looks like oatmeal-sized pieces. Mix in mashed potatoes to form a rag-ged dough. Add water, 1 tablespoon (15 mL) at a time, until dough starts to come together. Bring dough together and form into a disc. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough on floured work surface to fit a 9- or 10-inch (23 or 25 cm) pie plate. Place dough into pie plate and trim edge, as necessary. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Place pie plate onto baking sheet. In a blender, combine cooled sweet potato puree, milk, maple syrup, eggs, sugar, flour, oil, allspice, vanilla, and salt. Blend until smooth and pour into chilled pie shell.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Turn oven off (do not open the oven door). Let stand in oven for 30 minutes. Let stand at room temperature until cooled. Cover loosely and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Cut and serve with whipped cream if desired.
- Tip: If you don’t have mashed potatoes, simply boil a peeled potato until tender. Mash and measure to use in the recipe. Make sure it is cold. You will need about 1 ½ cups (375 mL) of sweet potato puree.