Crispy Baked Chicken Fingers
Recipe by: Dietitians of Canada
Skip the take-out and make your own chicken fingers at home! This recipe gives you the taste of fried chicken without all of the fat, greasy oil and mess. Serve the chicken with a fresh green salad, or with a side of Pasta Pomodoro.
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 8 chicken tenders
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Large bowl
- Spatula or spoon
- Large shallow baking sheet
- Heavy-duty aluminum foil
- Fork or knife
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk and vinegar.
- Add the chicken pieces, turning to coat and let soak for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile line a large shallow baking sheet with heavy-duty foil.
- In a large bowl, combine the whole-wheat flour, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the milk one at a time, coat in the crumb mixture, shake off excess coating and place on the baking sheet.
- Place the chicken in the oven and bake until chicken is browned and sizzling and juices run clear when the breast is pierced with the tip of a fork or knife, about 30 minutes. Use a meat thermometer to ensure inside temperature of chicken is 165°F.
- Serve and enjoy.