Corny Corn Chowder
Recipe by: Tanner
This hearty corn chowder is packed full of country home cooking flavour and is sure to put a smile on your face. A great chowder for anytime of the year.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 3 cobs of corn, husked
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL)chicken broth
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) homogenized 3% milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 6 slices double smoked bacon, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 yellow flesh potatoes, cubed into 1/2 inch (1 cm) pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Remove kernels from corn cobs and set aside in a bowl. Place the cobs in a large saucepan. Add broth, milk and cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 18 minutes. Remove cobs from pot and discard; reserve broth mixture.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook bacon until browned; remove to a bowl. Add celery, onion and carrot; cook about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add onion mixture, potatoes, reserved corn kernels, cooked bacon, salt and pepper to the broth mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Stir in butter until melted.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with chives if desired.