Chickpea Korma over Basmati Rice
Recipe by: Nicolas
This Indian dish is so easy to make at home, it’s child’s play!
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each canola oil and butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) curry powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each turmeric and ground cumin
- 2 Cortland apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 1/4 lb/625 g), peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) red curry paste
- 1 can (400 mL) coconut milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups (1 L) water or vegetable broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) basmati rice
- In a large saucepan, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook about 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in curry, turmeric and cumin; cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the apples, squash and carrot; cook, stirring for about 3 minutes. Stir in ginger, garlic, red curry paste, coconut milk and yogurt to coat. Cover slightly and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until squash is tender. Stir in chickpeas and simmer about 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan bring water to boil. Stir in rice; reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is fluffy.
- Serve korma over basmati rice.
- Tip: You will need about 4 cups (1 L) diced squash for this recipe.