Cheddar and Corn Scone with Herbed Cream Cheese
Recipe by: Chef Marysol Foucault
Prep time: 35 min
Bake time: 20 min
- 2 ½ (625 mL) cups of flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) butter, cold and cubed
- ½ cup (125 mL) cream
- ½ cup (125 mL) full-fat yogurt, preferably 10%
- 1 egg
- 1/2 corn kernels, frozen
- 1 cup (250 mL) cheddar, grated
- 1 cup (250 mL) cream cheese, room temperature
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) full-fat sour cream
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt with the help of a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Add the cubed butter to this mixture. Work it in with your fingers by pinching and flat-tening. Your pieces should be no bigger than peas. Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the cream, yogurt, and egg with the help of a whisk. Pour into the flour-butter mixture. Stir lightly until it just comes together.
- Turn over the bowl content onto a parchment-covered table. Sprinkle frozen corn on top. Work into a loose ball and roll over with a rolling pin to flatten a little. Sprinkle three-quarters of the cheese on top, folding into 3. Roll over with the rolling pin, folding again into 3. Shape into a circle and cut into 8 triangles. Sprinkle leftover cheese on top.
- Place the 8 scones on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Cream cheese spread: In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the room-temperature cream cheese and cold sour cream with a wooden spoon. You can also whisk them together but do so slowly to start so the mixture doesn’t splatter. Once the spread is more homogeneous, add the chopped chives. Serve with the scones.