Bean & Veggie Chili
Recipe by: Dietitians of Canada
Chili is one of those dishes that actually taste even better the next day. You can throw everything you have into it from different spices to almost any veggie you have! You can serve this with brown rice or quinoa, in tacos or with a whole-wheat bun—just about any way you can think of. You can also add a delicious boost of protein in the form of plain Greek yogurt or shredded cheese just as you’re serving it to your family and friends!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 large carrots (or 12 baby carrots), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 green, red or yellow bell pepper—halved, seeded, then cut into small chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin or coriander
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans of any beans you like: red, pinto, cannellini or black beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Large stockpot
- Wooden spoon
- Add the oil into a large stockpot, and turn the heat on to medium heat.
- Add the onions, carrots, bell pepper and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Let simmer for 20 minutes. Serve.