Alpha Ball Soup
Recipe by: Cohen
It is a meatball soup with some vegetables and spinach.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 1 lb (450 g) each ground beef and ground pork
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
- 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, divided
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 cups (2 L) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) alphabet pasta
- 3 cups (750 mL) fresh baby spinach, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine beef and pork with your hands. Add breadcrumbs, parmesan, egg, basil, oregano, garlic powder, pepper and salt and combine well. Roll into 1 inch (2.5 cm) meatballs.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) each of oil and butter over medium high heat. Brown meatballs in batches if necessary. Remove to paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, in a large soup pot, heat remainingbutter and olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and garlic; cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add broth and bring to a gentle boil. Stir in pasta and cook for 3 minutes. Gently add the meatballs and spinach and cook for about 10 minutes or until pasta is tender and meatballs are heated through.