It’s fun to create yummy treats in the kitchen, but there are certain rules you should follow on how to cook safely. Whether you’re helping Dad with dinner or you’re making a snack just for yourself, follow these tips to make cooking easy and safe!
1. Wash your hands with soap before handling any food, and after touching raw meat, egg or seafood.
2. Hold cooking utensils with sharp points, such as scissors or knives, very carefully. ALWAYS ask an adult first before using them.
3. Keep work surfaces clean and a kitchen towel handy so you can wipe up spills right away.
4. Always keep a close watch on the food you’re cooking when using burners or small appliances. When you’re done using them, turn them off right away!
5. When handling anything hot, such as a pot handle or a baking sheet, wear oven mitts so you don’t burn yourself.
Remember to ask an adult if you’re ever unsure of anything in the kitchen. The more you know, the more fun cooking will be!